Short stay visa for the other French overseas territories

Last update: 06/07/2013

1. What are the French overseas territories concerned ?
2. Do you need a visa to travel to these French overseas territories?
3. Is a Schengen visa valid for the French overseas territories ?
4. How to make an appointment ?
5. Processing time
6. Requirements
7. Important information

1. What are the French overseas territories concerned?

The French overseas territories concerned by this page are :

  • French Polynesia ;
  • New Caledonia ;
  • Wallis and Futuna ;
  • Mayotte ;
  • St Pierre and Miquelon ;
  • French austral territories.

2. Do you need a visa to travel to these French overseas territories?

- YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") :

Afghanistan Albania Algeria
Angola Antigua and Barbuda Armenia
Australia [1] Azerbaidjan Bahamas
Bahrein Bangladesh Barbados
Belize Benin Bhutan
Bielorussia Bosnia [2] Botswana
Brazil [3] Burkina Faso Burma
Burundi Cambodia Cameroon
Cape Verde Central Africa Chad
China China - Hong Kong [4] China - Macao [5]
China - Taiwan [6] Colombia Comoros
Congo D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre) Cuba
Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic
Ecuador Egypt Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea Ethiopia Fiji
Gabon Gambia Georgia
Ghana Grenada Guinea
Guinea Bissau Guyana Haiti
India Indonesia Iran
Iraq Israel Ivory Coast
Jamaica Jordan Kazakhstan
Kenya Kirghizistan Kiribati
Kuweit Laos Lebanon
Lesotho Liberia Libya
Macedonia [7] Madagascar Malawi
Maldives Mali Marshall Islands
Mauritania Mauritius Micronesia
Moldavia Mongolia Montenegro [8]
Morocco Mozambique Namibia
Nauru Nepal Niger
Nigeria North Korea Oman
Pakistan Palau Palestinia
Papua Peru Philippines
Qatar Refugees Russia
Rwanda Solomon Samoa
Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia [9]
Seychelles Sierra Leone Somalia
South Africa Sri Lanka St Kitts
St Lucia St Thomas St Vincent
Sudan Suriname Swaziland
Syria Tadjikistan Tanzania
Thailand Togo Tonga
Trinidad & Tobago Tunisia Turkey
Turkmenistan Tuvalu Uganda
Ukraine United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan
Vanuatu Vietnam Yemen
Former Yugoslavia Zambia Zimbabwe

Diplomatic and official passport holders, please contact us.

- NO, if you are an American citizen or hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter a French Overseas Territories as a tourist for a short stay less than 90 days.

However, if the purpose of your trip is NOT tourism, then you may still be required to get a visa before your departure (please check with us).

3. Is a Schengen visa valid for the French overseas territories?

No, you have to apply for a specific visa, allowing you to visit these territories. If you intend to visit both France and one of these territories, you have to apply for a visa "Schengen + this territory"

Examples :
- You are traveling directly from the USA to Tahiti without going through Europe : you have to apply for a visa "French Polynesia".
- You are traveling from the USA to New Caledonia flying through Europe : you have to apply for a visa "Schengen + New Caledonia".

4. How to make an appointment?

For security reasons, all applicants, even children under the age of 6, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in Boston.

The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.

Make an appointment by clicking here

To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox 1.0 and higher
- Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
- Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
- allow pop-ups|

If you cannot print your confirmation receipt, it is not a problem Simply show up on the date and time of your appointment.

No appointment can be made by phone or by e-mailing us. If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling your appointment.

Make sure you bring all the required documents when coming to the Consulate General.

5. Processing time

Processing time may take about 21 days or longer. Please check with us, mentioning your citizenship.

If you are applying for a visa "Schengen + territory" : please refer to the article Schengen Short stay visa for tourism to know about the processing time.

Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.

6. Requirements

Please provide us with the original + 1 copy of each document. The visa section does not make any copies, you must bring your documents and the required copies.

1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have remaining at least 2 blank consecutive visas pages which face each other.

2. Processing fee

3. One application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read carefully the explanations).

4. Two ID pictures white background, full face, no glasses nor hat, closed mouth)

5. A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid US visa with valid I-94 / valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document. (+ONE COPY)
We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence

6. If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.

7. Proof of socio-professional status :

  • letter of employment in the U.S confirming your salary, hire date, position and dates of vacation (business registration if self employed)
  • and your last 2 paystubs
  • letter from your school or university confirming your enrollment status, attendance and anticipated graduation date

8. Proof of financial means : your last 2 bank statements

9. Your travel itinerary : you MUST BOOK your airline ticket but do not purchase until the visa has been approved.

10. Proof of medical coverage abroad : a letter from your insurance company stating that you are covered abroad or a travel insurance to be purchased from a travel agency (minimum amount of 50,000 US$). Your insurance letter must include “Medical evacuation” and “Repatriation”.

11. Proof of accomodation :

  • Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states
  • or a letter from your travel agent stating that you are part of a tour.
  • or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France.
  • For a business trip: please also provide a letter from your employer in the US or from your host company in France stating that you are in France on behalf of the company, giving the name and address of the contact person(s) in France and guaranteeing full responsibility for expenses, lodging, and return to the United States

12. If the applicant is under 18 years old and travelling without his parents:

  • notarized copy of his (her) birth certificate
  • notarized authorization from both parents allowing their child to travel to France or from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree.
  • if you are divorced : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren).

13. If you cannot pick up your visa by yourself, you can send to the French Consulate, a self-addressed prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope from all Postal Services (i.e: the US POST OFFICE, FEDEX, UPS, AIRBORNE EXPRESS etc.). You may use one envelope per family if you buy `flat rate.`
Please do NOT stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out as follows :

FROM: Please, don’t put
the French Consulate name
Your full name
Your address
Your full name
Your address

7. Important information

- The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.

- Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.

- Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.

[1Except for New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Wallis and Futuna

[2Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa

[3Except for French Polynesia

[4Except S.A.R. who do not need a short stay visa

[5Except S.A.R. who do not need a short stay visa

[6Except for ordinary Taiwanese passports which contains the identity card number of the holder. In this case, a short stay visa is not required

[7Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa

[8Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa

[9Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa

Dernière modification : 28/09/2016

top of the page