Applying for a visa is done in 3 steps:
1. Book an appointment online
2. Come to the Consulate to submit an application with all required documents. Processing time varies between 4 and 10 working days;
3. Come back to the Consulate at a date indicated by the Visa Officer to pick up passport with stamped visa inside (if the visa has been granted). Alternatively, when submitting their application, applicants can provide the Consulate with a prepaid self-return envelope (FedEx, UPS or USPS with a tracking number). Please make sure to sign the liability waiver and put your name as the sender and receiver when filling out the form.
List of required documents:
1. A passport
+ copy of page showing identification. Passport must:
a. have been issued within the past 10 years
b. be valid at least 3 months after the expected day of departure from France
c. contain at least 2 blank pages
2. One application form
completed, dated and signed (download here)
3. Two recent photos
ID in US passport photo format, one to be affixed to the application form
4. Letter of acceptance
to the university exchange program issued by the American university plus a letter of admission
issued by the university in France. Applicants not participating in an exchange program must only provide the latter.
5. Copy of confirmation email from CampusFrance
+ receipt of payment of CampusFrance fee
6. Proof of financial means
, which may be one of the following:
a. A notarized Financial Guarantee
b. A letter of scholarship from the university Financial Aid Office
c. Three most recent bank statements in the applicant’s name showing available funds of at least $900 per month for intended stay in France
7. Medical Insurance document
stating that the applicant will be covered during the entire stay in France with a minimum coverage of $50,000. Coverage must also include repatriation in the US.
8. Applicants who will study for more than 6 months must also fill out an Immigration Form (OFII)
A visa fee must be paid upon applying
either by cash (exact change required) or by banking card (debit preferred). The fee varies with the rate of exchange between the Euro and the $US and is updated every 1st and 16th of every month. Please check the amount here (link to the relevant page).